Re: long-term archiving

On 1/28/2016 11:50 AM, Theodore V Faber wrote:
>>> It seems to me that I-Ds are an interesting case.  They are a series of
>> >
>> >The confusion on this is mixing 'status' with 'availability'.  The fact
>> >that a document is no longer considered active does not mean that it
>> >should become inaccessible.
>> >
>> >And indeed, that's the reason I-Ds remain available after the time out.
> Yeah, and I seem to recall some kind of rathole/vortex around what the
> original intent of I-Ds was vs. what they are today.  I’ll stipulate the
> position above rather than head anywhere near that.

IMO the confusion lies with the concept of "ephemeral" vs. "but I
*really* want it, even though I should have no right to it", which led
to a redefinition of the concept of "ephemeral" as it applies to IDs.
See below...

>> >The same point should apply to all public IETF materials, IMO.
>> >
>> >The materials are likely to become useful to future researchers.  But we
>> >cannot expect current researchers to do the archival work now, in
>> >anticipation of those needs.  The responsibility for helping those folk
>> >in the future lies with the IETF community itself, now.
>
> Future networking researchers or future historians?

Or future litigation?

The redefinition of IDs in particular was driven by a concern that these
documents might be particularly useful in disproving patent claims.

I still firmly believe it remains a disservice to the community to have
changed the concept of ID expiration for the primary benefit of lawyers.

Joe