Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Ietf-and-github -- Discussion of using GitHub in IETF activities, particularly for Working Groups

Eliot,

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:55 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Jari,
>
> I have no conceptual problem with github being used for draft
> development or being integrated in our tools process for state changes,
> or archiving of discussions, but I would maintain strong objections to
> any approach that would lead to bifurcation of discussion on a topic.
> That is- the technology and our relationships with those providing the
> service should be conducive to a single integrated conversation on a topic.

To say this another way, using github (or other collaboration tools) is great for authors or a design team to work together to develop an Internet draft.  I do this myself.  I think the dividing line is that drafts should continue to be submitted via the datatracker as they are now and working groups be using the datatracker to do their work.  I would be very concerned if working groups started to do their work outside of the datatracker.

Bob