Re: Argentina with tourist visa ?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:40:10AM +0100, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
>  > It might help if the team worked with those governments in advance to
>  > clarify in particular what class of visa to enter on, what must be done
>  > in advance by whom, and how long one can reasonably expect the
>  > processing times to be.  These are questions that someone from the
>  > foreign ministry of a country should be able to answer, with the
>  > understanding that they are non-normative guidance, as circumstances can
>  > change.
>
> What really would help is that people take there own responsibility
> and find out whatever is needed in their situation. It is silly to
> expect that the IETF meeting organisers become experts on the various
> visa rules worldwide.

I am all for minimizing the need for IETF/IAOC to be a "travel agency", but
getting clear legal statements about what Visa is needed to attend IETF
is clearly something that seems to be quite difficult as an individual.
As an organizer of a prestigious conference that surely any new counry we go
to will boast about, its a lot more likely you can get even get a written
statement from the responsible ministry.

Heck, i can easily see how the folks that IETF/IAOC can ask would have the authority to
say "If you are listed to be from a country with no-Visa requirements for
tourists, and you plan to visit Argentina only for IETF conference and tourism,
then you only need tourist visa". The poor employee of the consulate in Germany
i talked to obviously was not capable to make such a statement but was instead
complaining about the written guidelines available to her to be less than
precise - so she would err on the side of caution.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---