Re: Checksum at IP layer - is it even needed ?

Lloyd

If that is a significant risk, then why did IPv6 not move
to a better protection when it was changing the other things
in the nw/xport interface? After all there were much
better c/s - such as Fletcher - that were well known
at the time?

Stewart

On 15/12/2015 00:32, lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If the content is not understood by anyone except the intended endpoint
> the occasional misdelivery is surely of no consequence.

There's still a risk of port pollution (IPv4) or destination pollution (IPv6)
from misdeliveries without checksums.

not understood != not handled and pushed up the stack.