Re: negotiation and consensus-finding styles

Jari Arkko wrote:
>   "Instead of repeating stated positions, each party is encouraged
>    to speak personally and state their “red lines,” which are
>    thresholds that they don’t want to cross. But while telling others
>    their hard limits, they are also asked to provide solutions to find
>    a common ground.”
>
> I’ve never heard of this particular technique before, have
> other people run into it? Any experiences? Any more detailed
> information? The reason that I’m asking is that it kind of sounds
> like the way people should be voicing their opinions in an IETF
> discussion, when that discussion is run in an optimal way.
> Along with our rough consensus concepts, of course, and
> drive to understand other people's positions.

I thought we were doing that -- chairs are eliciting these red lines by
asking questions like "who can live with XXX", "who cannot accept YYY", ...

The main observation remains: where there is contention, progress is
often not made in plenaries (translate: WG meetings), but in small focus
meetings (the real bar BOFs, or other ad-hoc/hallway meetings).  We do
occasionally make progress in WG meetings, but these are also a great
place for bullying and decisions based on social proof (as opposed to
technical considerations).

All that said, I still hope we are doing less "negotiation" than was
needed in Le Bourget, and focusing more on technical considerations.
Hope dies last...

Grüße, Carsten