Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-05.txt> (Updated TLS Server Identity Check Procedure for Email Related Protocols) to Proposed Standard

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 01:17:05PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> >> Some guidance on
> >> how to check/configure vanity domains may be appropriate,
> >> IMHO.
> >
> > If you can suggest some specific text, that would be great?
>
> But I imagine I could make a case
> that, with some of the sloppy terminology and handwaving we see
> around, ISODE.COM is a vanity domain name and dukhovni.org is
> even more probably one.

Undoubtedly sufficiently sloppy (ab)use of terminology will classify
even gmail.com as a vanity domain...

As for dukhovni.org a friend and I share the burdens of root access
to the server that provides SMTP, submission, IMAP and authoritative
primary DNS for that and a handful of other domains.

Is it a "vanity" domain?  Who knows, that's a rather informal term
I believe.  In this thread, I took the term to loosely mean a hosted
domain with no dedicated resources that piggy-backs on a provider's
infrastructure.  In which case dukhovni.org is not a vanity domain.

If by a "vanity" domain one means a domain that stokes my geek-cred
vanity, then, by all means, call it vanity.

--
	Viktor.