RE: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-isis-route-preference-02

Jari -

Thanx for the comments.
Inline.

[Les:] The devil is really in the details in this draft - and I appreciate if you are not heavily into the protocol details things can be easily misinterpreted.

The draft makes one non-backwards compatible change to the protocol - which is to eliminate the incorrect " Level 2 down prefix" route type defined in RFC 5308. This is the change that could require a transition mechanism.

Appendix A documents a real world interoperability issue - but it is NOT directly related to RFC 5308. It results from inconsistent interpretation of content in RFC 5302/RFC 5305. There is no transition mechanism proposed for this as the incompatibility already exists in some deployments. What is needed here is for the non-conforming implementations to correct their behavior.

We could mention Appendix A in Section 2 - but it would NOT be related to the transition mechanism which is suggested in that section.

(Hope this makes sense)

   Les