RE: Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-isis-route-preference-02

Robert -

Thanx for the review.

[Les:] Appendix A provides a real-life example of how the interoperability issue manifests itself. As far as how a transition mechanism might be implemented this gets into non-normative aspects. I have always had a strong bias for avoiding non-normative statements in specifications. Transition here really means having some configuration knob to specify whether old/new behavior should be used. Specifying a CLI is not something I would want to put into a standard. For folks who have an IS-IS implementation it isn’t difficult to figure out how to do this.

> Did the group consider defining a couple of new code points and deprecating
> these two, to avoid that transition issue?

[Les:] This would not help - it would only make things more difficult. You would then have to deal with the transition between the old TLV and the new TLV - which has a much broader impact because it affects all IPv6 prefix reachability advertisements in all deployments - whereas the existing problem only occurs in certain deployments (multiple instances of IS-IS on the same router with redistribution between the instances at Level-2).

   Les