Re: Looking for Area Directors Under Lampposts

John,

On 12/11/15 19:16, John C Klensin wrote:
> No IESG that was seated when the suggestions came up has
> been willing to let the community consider them.

Can you point at something to back that up?

I'm not asking to try to catch you out btw, but first
I've no idea how the IESG could prevent the community
considering stuff, and second, whilst I've been on the
IESG I really don't think anyone who served would've
taken that stance. (An IESG might be able to stall
stuff, but not prevent consideration.)

As to the broader topic, the IESG has spent some time
on considering the whole AD workload thing and we did
not manage to reach consensus on anything that looked
like it'd really work out as a general solution. (Efforts
continue but more on a per-area basis at the moment.)

One conclusion I've reached as a result is that that
also reflects the lack of consensus in the broader
community as to what they want the IESG to do or not
do. Absent such a consensus, I doubt that we'll find
this discussion that productive, though I'd love to be
wrong there.

I also suspect that absent such a consensus the IESG
will inexorably end up more of a non-technical management
and bureaucratic body that slowly but surely takes on more
work and makes itself bigger. If that's true, then the
lack of community consensus to figure this out is also
a sort of decision, though not one many of us would like
(I hope).

Thanks,
S.