Re: We need an architecture, not finger pointing.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Ted Lemon <ted.lemon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2015, at 7:58 PM, John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Those are separate issues.  We strip attachments because people send
> messages that say "my kid's school play is tomorrow at 7 PM, tickets $5, and
> here's a poster" and attach a 20MB powerpoint horror.
>

> Seems like you could just bounce messages with attachments larger than X,
> where X is O(1k).   We have to allow for MUA-specific attachments, but we
> could even handle those by whitelisting them.   "Fixing" messages with
> attachments is a convenience, not a requirement.

Here we are going beyond Internet architecture and into the real of
messaging application architecture. I think it is very clear that the
owner of example.com can decide to publish DMARC records that prevent
use of mail users with accounts in that domain sending to a mailing
list and that flows from a correct understanding of the Internet
architecture.

If you want to fix messaging, it is harder. You essentially have two choices:

1) Attempt to work within the existing deployed infrastructures.
2) Attempt to supersede the existing infrastructure with a new one.

Both give abundant opportunity for despair. Deploying a new messaging
system is next to impossible. There will always be some parts of the
legacy infrastructure that resist incremental change.

We have enough trouble trying to change the WebPKI and that is despite
the system being actually engineered for things like algorithm updates
and having a coordinating body (CABForum) that simply doesn't have an
equivalent for mail.

Things are not totally hopeless however. I think that there is a good
chance we could start to fix this in 2018 when a particular piece of
IPR expires.

We are not going to persuade people to change their email systems,
that is hopeless. That can't happen any more than people would have
changed their FTP servers back in 1993. What is quite achievable
however is to get people to adopt a system that offers a new set of
functionality that incidentally makes the legacy infrastructure
obsolete. The Web was not adopted because people were looking for a
replacement for FTP but it has effectively replaced FTP.

What I would urge people to think about is the need for a standards
based infrastructure with 'dropbox' like capability. Further, one that
allows for end-to-end encryption of the message contents and for
messages to be distributed to groups of users defined by an offline
administrator.

So for example, I am about to release some code to my engineering
team. The code is large (about 200 MB including the test vectors). I
do not know the names of the engineers who are going to be working on
the systems, they don't report to me.

What I want to be able to do is to wrap up the data in a ZIP file, and
encrypt it to a security label ( MESHALPHA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) that is
administered by the Director of Engineering.

The only way to do that with S/MIME and OpenPGP right now is that
either I have to encrypt the message for each recipient or some easily
breached server has to.

If we apply Matt Blaze's proxy re-encryption, 'recryption', my
director of engineering can do the administration of the security
label using an offline client and upload data to the recryption
service. the service can then recrypt the information required for any
authorized user to decrypt any of the data I upload.

Recryption is a powerful tool. So powerful that I think it is properly
regarded as the extension of public key cryptography from bilateral
communications to multi-lateral communications.

While we all know and understand that email users don't see the need
for E2E encryption, this is not the case with pull-model data
distribution. People get really worried about putting large chunks of
data onto a file service.

I think that getting people excited about a re-engineering of SMTP is
going to be very hard. But there is a real possibility that people
might be interested in a unified messaging infrastructure that merges
email, news, dropbox, chat and VOIP and has an integrated security
infrastructure built in from day 1.