Incremental hacks and letting abusers control the agenda (was: Re: Google threatens to break Gmail)

> Web registration systems now tell users to whitelist mail from their
> domains, which would be cool if it could be done automatically rather
> than through manual intervention, and users are now accustomed to
> searching for important mail that hasn’t arrived in their junk folders.

Consider that example as a touchstone to the larger set of issues, here:

   Anti-abuse mechanisms (and many other 'fixes') for email tend to be
added piecemeal and locally, rather than considered as end-to-end
systems issues.

   On the average, the focus of concern is local operations, rather than
user interaction and user experience.  It's simpler and quicker to work
that way, but it winds up turning email into a technical and functional
Tower of Babel. This approach to dealing with email problems has been an
issue for at least 40 years.  Recipients complained to local operators
who put some local hack in place to deal with the symptoms.  Often the
originator of the problem never hears about it.

   Email is by far the largest and most complex distributed system on
the Internet.  Having complex objects travel multiple hops along many
independent administrations is a pain.  So let's minimize hops and
administrations and eliminate the cases that need to greater flexibility
email gave with the more highly distributed administrative and
functional design.

   We need to properly distinguish identities from identifiers and we
need to properly distinguish among the many independent actors in the
handling sequence and we need to distinguish trust from mistrust.  Each
of these distinctions can produce very different approaches for
proposals.  For example, trying to look for bad actors is fundamentally
different from looking for good actors.  So is evaluating an operator
versus an author.

   What most folk have moved to is a model in which a user's identity,
identifier and operational support are all tightly integrated and
controlled by a single administration.  For simple scenarios, that works
well enough to cause people to treat more varied scenarios as 'problems'
rather than 'userful requirements'.

   The current evolution of systems changes for anti-abuse are largely
reactive -- the abusers set the agenda -- and largely turn email into a
Procrustean bed:  Only usage scenarios that are supported and protected
cleanly are the easiest and most restrictive on users.  Since that
satisfies the vast majority of current use, the disenfranchisement of
the much smaller minority of other, legitimate scenarios can be ignored,
independent of the problems caused to those who are disenfranchised.

Producing general, end-to-end changes that afford necessary protections
and support the widest possible range of functionality is much more work
than doing localized, incremental hacks.  (Not that the localized,
incremental hacks are cheap or quick either.)

We need to stop thinking we can eliminate abuse.  We need to start
thinking in terms of end-to-end trust models that scale and support
varied usage scenarios.  We need to focus on being able to use trust of
operators, more than on trust of authors.

And mostly, we need to stop creating one hack to fill in the gaps for
another hack.  Or rather -- since the hacks often are the result of an
emergency -- we need to stop thinking the hacks actually 'solve'
problems rather than merely creating new ones.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking