Re: PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> > You would still need to address the key lookup mechanism. One of the
>> > reasons CERT failed for openpgp was the lack of binding between mailbox
>> > and DNS. You did not know where to look for the CERT record.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, I believe section 3 of RFC 4398 discuss this:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4398#section-3
>>
>> In particular section 3.3 explains how a OpenPGP key for
>> leslie@host.example would lead to a CERT record on the
>> leslie.host.example domain.  See
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4398#section-3.3
>
> Which is very much part of the problem.  RFC 103[45] have mbox names
> which unfortunately causes namespace collisions.  Usernames and
> hostnames shouldn't be in the same namespace.  RFC 4398 continues
> to have that problem.

I don't see that as a problem.

To my knowledge, associating an OpenPGP key with a host is rare, and
when it happens the usual best practice in the OpenPGP world has been to
"invent" a email address like root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and put that in the
OpenPGP key.  So no collisions happen.

Even if a collision would happen, it is not a show-stopper.  You just
put two CERT records at the same name.  The client will need to have
functionality to figure out which key out of several to use anyway.

/Simon