Re: PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

In message <87d1x8ra6a.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Simon Josefsson writes:
> --=-=-=
>
> Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Or they can use the already specified CERT record, which GnuPG supports.
> >
> > You would still need to address the key lookup mechanism. One of the
> > reasons CERT failed for openpgp was the lack of binding between mailbox
> > and DNS. You did not know where to look for the CERT record.
>
> If I understand correctly, I believe section 3 of RFC 4398 discuss this:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4398#section-3
>
> In particular section 3.3 explains how a OpenPGP key for
> leslie@host.example would lead to a CERT record on the
> leslie.host.example domain.  See
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4398#section-3.3

Which is very much part of the problem.  RFC 103[45] have mbox names
which unfortunately causes namespace collisions.  Usernames and
hostnames shouldn't be in the same namespace.  RFC 4398 continues
to have that problem.

This draft and the s/mime draft address that issue moving the looked
up name out of the valid hostname namespace.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx