Re: [dane] PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

In your letter dated Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:57:31 +0000 you wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 09:44:57AM +0600, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Paul Wouters wrote:
>> > Actually, nmost people I know never use the WoT. They only use keys
>> > obtained directly from the person they want to exchange encrypted email
>> > with.
>>
>> At Mon, 21 Sep 2015 16:24:10 -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
>>
>> > I think Paul nails it, at least for the more aware folks around.
>> > Using the WoT to gauge anything other than confidence in choice of
>> > friends/associates is asking for trouble.
>>
>> i think bill nails it.  trust in identity is what it is about for me.
>> i am communicating with a person, not a dns or smtp server; the latter
>> are agents, and ones which have failed repeatedly over the decades.
>
>We'll likely never meet in person.  You have a sensitive message
>to send me about Postfix or OpenSSL or something like that.  Now
>what?
>
>Or more likely you have nothing sensitive to send me at all, but
>prefer not to have your communications routinely intercepted or
>stored in the clear.  Now what?

Assuming just normal e-mail, nothing extremely sensitive, why do (some of
us) have higher requirements for e-mail than for web servers?

For sensitive e-mail, yes, find an out of band way to verify someone's
key. And sign it yourself.

But for ordinary e-mail, if we can trust the CA system to protect websites,
why not trust DNSSEC to protect e-mail?