Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

 why the names are different from DNS domain names.

I think this is where Andrew's distinction between "the DNS" and a larger concept of name space is needed. Onion names are different in that they are names for a different resolution process which uses a distributed hash table operated by the Tor network nodes instead of the root DNS servers. My apologies if this seems over simplistic.

CBaker