Re: E-Mail Protocol Security Measurements

--On Monday, July 27, 2015 15:17 +0200 Aaron Zauner
<azet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> UTA chairs recommended sending a mail about this to the UTA
> and IETF lists. We're currently analyzing our datasets -- so
> more/detailed data will become available shortly.
>
> Over the past couple of months we've been collecting SMTP,
> IMAP and POP (implicit TLS, STARTTLS) security measurements
> (primarily relating to TLS, X.509 Certs and offered protocol
> extensions). I've given a short talk at IETF93 in SAAG on the
> topic, the slides can be found over here:
> https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-saag-2.pdf
> We don't yet have a publication ready and our data sets are
> currently not public, but will be in the foreseeable future.
> However we're happy to provide details if any of you have
> questions.

Hi.  I'm very much in favor of this work being done, results
being published, and discussions being used to improve things.
At the same time, I want to express a concern and hope it is
reflected in any documents or recommendations.

We know that there is still a lot of multiple-hop/
multiple-MTA-in-path email around, especially if one includes
paths between the message-creation process and the submission
server and between the delivery server, mailstore, and user/MUA
that may involve dubious trust relationships or weak user
authentication.  Unless things have changed significantly in
recent years, in most environments and for most attackers other
than governments engaged in pervasive surveillance, attacks on
servers hosting MTAs or mailstores are easier and more likely to
be productive than attacks on message transport between MTAs.

Whether one believes in OpenPGP, S/MIME, or something else, we
know that the only really strong protection for message content
that is relatively immune from compromised relays or mailstores
(as well as from weak links in the transmission chain) involves
encryption at the source and under the direct control of the
sending user and decryption at the destination under the direct
control of the receiving user.    We also know that those
techniques are little-used and that are a lot of theories as to
why not.  That low level of use may be, and probably is, a good
reason for a concentrated effort on link encryption.   However,
we shouldn't make arguments for good-quality link encryption
that have the effect of convincing people (even the fairly
naive) that it makes either end-to-end content encryption or
relay server hardening unnecessary or undesirable.  And we
should recognize that a message-originating site that transmits
only (or only when the site identifies it as relevant) signed
and encrypted messages but that chooses to not support the
latest and best in link encryption is thereby inherently less
secure or a less appropriate correspondent than one that uses
link encryption alone.

As I said, I favor this work, but there has been too much
history in computer science and networking of coming up with
easy solutions that make people feel good about "doing
something" but that don't actually address the critical-path
problems.  I'm not suggesting this is one of those cases, but we
should pay attention and be very careful that improvements in
relatively unimportant or low-risk areas don't drive out more
effective or comprehensive solutions.

    john