Re: Pink Squares

On 7/27/15 8:16 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
> --On Monday, July 27, 2015 10:12 +0200 Simon Pietro Romano
> <spromano@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> *) One suggestion for when the meetecho techs are engrossed
>>> elsewhere is that there be a way for the chairs to override
>>> the settings.
>> Good point. This can indeed be easily done: if a chair wants
>> to act as the Meetecho "director" of his session's
>> virtual room, we can definitely enable such functionality for
>> him. All you need is to open a URL in your web page and play
>> with the remote controls.
> Please be extremely careful with this idea.  I think it is
> important that chairs be paying careful attention to the flow of
> the meeting and the substantive issues involved (including
> repetitive comments and speech-making, not just discussions at
> the front of the queue), not trying to act as stage managers or
> camera directors.  If a chair has spare attention or cycles
> during the meeting, I think it would be a better use of them to
> have the chair paying attention to Jabber (or whatever
> high-reliability or fallback mechanism we have for remote input)
> or making decisions about discussions and queue management
> rather than playing with the AV technology.

John, I agree that during the session, the chairs must be paying
attention to the meeting and not the AV. However, in a couple sessions
the camera was pointing off into space at the beginning of the meeting
and there was no way for someone local to re-home it. It's something to
add to the checklist before the meeting: e.g., do we have a jabber
scribe, do we have a note taker, can our remote people hear us, can our
remote people see us?

    Tony