Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have no particular objection to the concept here, but I do have a
> question about one sentence in the draft.  Section 1 states:
>>    Like Top-Level Domain Names, .onion addresses can have an arbitrary
>>    number of subdomain components.  This information is not meaningful
>>    to the Tor protocol, but can be used in application protocols like
>>    HTTP [RFC7230].
>>
> I honestly don't understand what is being stated here, or why a claim is
> made about HTTP at all in this document.  Are we talking about the
> common practice of www.example.com == example.com?  And what
> significance does that last phrase have to the document?

I made a comment on this to the authors earlier, and they decided to
leave it as-is :)

The idea is that TOR routing will only use the first label after
.onion, but if you're using the .onion name in an application, that
application might use the whole name.  For example, if you put
"http://mail.example.onion/";, TOR will route on "example.onion", but
the HTTP Host header might be "mail.example.onion".

--Richard