Re: Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-wkumari-dhc-capport-13

    Ted> On 07/14/2015 12:24 PM, David Farmer wrote:
    >> However, what if the only purpose of the portal is to display
    >> marketing and/or acceptance of Term & Conditions?  Is DNSSEC and
    >> SSL still required in this case?  I tend to think not, but I'm
    >> happy to hear why I'm wrong.
    >>
    >> Frequently that is all the captive portal is, a little marketing
    >> and maybe T's & C's to keep the lawyers happy.  For most coffee
    >> shops or restaurants and a lot of other public places this all
    >> the portal does.

    Ted> The issue is that we want to avoid being infected by malware,
    Ted> and if the captive portal controls all of our access to the
    Ted> information we'd use to avoid connecting to an untrustworthy
    Ted> source, we are in trouble.  Chances are that your marketing
    Ted> splash is some kind of flash or javascript thing, and we'd like
    Ted> to be able to know that we are really talking to you and that
    Ted> you aren't on a malware blacklist.  DNSSEC and TLS (not SSL,
    Ted> all versions of SSL are known to be vulnerable to hacks of
    Ted> various kinds) are required to make this work.
    >>> My concern is that while this is really good advice, there's no

Just to make sure we're evaluating the tradeoffs here.  We're assuming
that the attacker doesn't choose to pay for a plausible domain and a
cert for that domain.  I think cheap certs are in the $10 range unless
they've gotten down to free, and domains are under $20.
I'd been thinking TLS was valuable if you were exchanging sensitive
information.
Is the economic disadvantage to the mallware attacker greater than I'm
implying above?