Re: Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-wkumari-dhc-capport-13

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 02:36:18PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I have never been convinced that DNSsec validation of A or AAAA records
> has value.  I understand I am a heretic in the security community for
> saying that, but there it is.

I'm inclined to agree that the value is marginal.

In the DANE SMTP draft, validation of A/AAAA records is used only
as a "probe" to detect unsigned zones, so that one can avoid sending
TLSA queries to such zones (where misconfigured firewalls or buggy
nameservers are prone to mishandle all but the most common DNS
RRtypes).  The validation status of address records is otherwise
ignored.

Forging IP address records in DNS is rather tamper-evident.  It is
far more attractive to attack BGP, and MiTM or just monitor the
traffic transparently.

--
	Viktor.