Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

On 7/2/15 2:57 AM, Colin Perkins wrote:
> Is having a DOI critical? No, obviously not, but it does help in some
> cases, and does make some things easier. At negligible cost.

I've taken to staying out of IETF bibliographic discussions
because they tend to make me feel exceedingly peevish and
I'd rather not feel exceedingly peevish.  But, I read one
piece of email in this thread and that led to another and then
another, so here I am.

The DOI is useful for cataloging because it introduces a
structure that makes it easier to group things which are similar
and to locate specific instances of those things within
that group.  So, I'm thinking about that in the context of
the RFC series.  Personally, I can't see that they're much
use.  To the extent that the assignment of a DOI might lead
to us not using our own identifiers (eating our own dog food)
that's potentially a problem.  I don't see *much* harm here
but I don't really see much practical benefit, either.

Frankly, the whole thing reminds me of someone buying a
GoPro, recording their commute to work, and never taking it
out again.  I haven't seen evidence that we've got a
bibliographic problem here, and nothing (so far) in this
discussion suggests that we do.  But, we're going to do what
we're going to do, so given that I'd suggest that John's
concerns about format should be taken very seriously.  Given
that DOIs reflect, in some sense, the bibliographic structure
of a group of documents, and given that we'd like to be
adaptable to future changes to how we publish, using a flat
namespace seems to be clearly the wrong thing to do and would
seem to be a case where DOIs are considerably less useful
than they might otherwise be.

Melinda