Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

On 2 Jul 2015, at 14:49, John C Klensin wrote:

> (3) I am now aware of three important efforts to establish a
> standard for persistent identifiers for documents and data that
> are available electronically or referenced electronically: the
> semantic web's "entity registration system" (ERS), DOIs, and the
> IETF's URNs.  The three specs do not have the same scope, but
> their scope overlaps significantly.  There may well be others.

I want to point out that in the early days of both DOI and URN there where significant discussions about whether/how DOI/Handles could be viewed from an IETF architecture perspective as a URN namespace.

See for example <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg01071.html>

   Patrik