Re: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

Folks,

We shouldn’t assign a bigger meaning for this change than what it really is.
Of course it is important that we eat our own dogfood, and of course there
are some privacy benefits.

But ultimately, this is a change about the defaults for our own web services.
Today, in a lot of the cases the default is cleat ext and while I can access the
secure content, I have to edit the URL to add ’s’. Tomorrow, this would be
reversed.

In other words, people can still select their method of access when they
need to. There are obviously broader issues in the Internet around
confidentiality, but this particular action is about our own website
and traffic to it.

We will (and have) of course participate the broader discussion and
contribute technology that can help make the Internet more privacy
friendly. But that is more about the various solutions we produce,
such as improving efficiency of turning on crypto which HTTP/2 and
TLS 1.3 help, or fixing bad algorithms or issues in protocols. Lets
get to continuing that work!

Jari