Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis-15.txt> (Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Representing Usernames and Passwords) to Proposed Standard

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> SASLprep and the several profiles defined by this document give
>> different outputs for some inputs.  This new protocol can also give
>> different outputs depending on which Unicode version the implementation
>> uses.
>
> Do you think that more text is needed on those points?

I don't think text will help.  I believe this design property will lead
to slow migration and frustration from implementers.  Compare the state
of IDNA2008.  So, I don't see how more text would make a difference.

>> Combined, these
>> aspects may lead to interoperability and security issues if migration is
>> not coordinated among protocols and implementations.
>
> I am not sure if migration needs to be coordinated across protocols
> (e.g., does XMPP need to be in sync with STUN?).

Agreed.  I didn't intend that and agree my wording could be interpreted
the wrong way.  I meant coordination among implementation of a
particular protocol.  It would be bad if, for two implementations of one
protocol, for one of the implementations to migrate from SASLprep to
SASLprepbis on its own.

> I do think that some rough coordination across implementations of a
> given protocol is desirable, and those implementation communities
> would do well to pursue such coordination through the normal standards
> processes. See below.

Agreed.

>> Essentially, what does it mean for this document to obsolete RFC 4013
>> for an implementation implements a protocol that normatively reference
>> RFC 4013?  When are implementations supposed to be updated to use this
>> document?  Now, or when the respective RFC is updated to point towards
>> this new document?
>
> The latter.

Good!  I wasn't confident in this interpretation.

> Here is further proposed text:
>
>    This document does not modify the handling of internationalized
>    strings in usernames and passwords as prescribed by existing
>    application protocols that use SASLprep.  If the community that uses
>    such an application protocol wishes to modernize its handling of
>    internationalized strings to use PRECIS instead of stringprep, it
>    needs to explicitly update the existing application protocol
>    definition (one example is [I-D.ietf-xmpp-6122bis], which obsoletes
>    [RFC6122]).  Non-coordinated updates to protocol implementations are
>    discouraged because they can have a negative impact on
>    interoperability and security.
>
> Does that address your concern?

Awesome, thank you!

/Simon