Re: Drafts that can't be serious

On 4/20/2015 3:01 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:
> Yup - new visitors to the IETF also seem to not quite understand what
> an ID is - they seem to think that, because something is published as
> an Internet Draft, and is on the IETF site it means that somehow the
> IETF has vetted it or approves of it.
>
> This has led to multiple instances where someone (often a reporter)
> will find an ID and then claim that "the IETF believes" or "the IETF
> thinks" $whatever is in the draft[0]. The last time this happened I
> got fed up and wrote
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-not-a-draft-06

Warren,

While related, I think that's a different issue, not unlike the the "Not
all RFCs are Standards".  The main I-D page already contains an explicit
statement about non-status.  So the problem you cite concerns careless
reading.

I suppose one could argue that the phrase "working documents of the
IETF" could encourage a misunderstanding, in spite of the explicit text
2 paragraphs down.  I suppose that first text could be softened a bit,
to something like:

   Internet-Drafts are working documents with no formal status.  Some of
these documents are in development through the IETF, its areas and its
working groups and might, eventually, reach completion.

I doubt that will have much effect, but it might help a little.

Still, failure to read the plain language on that page is different from
failing to find a policy statement that is buried in an obscure place.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking