Re: Trustees License Use of Templates in RFCs

On Friday, March 13, 2015 11:35:45 AM John C Klensin wrote:
> --On Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:40 -0400 Sam Hartman
>
> <hartmans-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm disappointed that the trust chose to remove the right to
> > modify template text.
> >
> > This makes it impossible to write open-source software for
> > filling in templates in these RFCs; I am disappointed the
> > trust has chosen to take this step.
>
> Sam,
>
> This may go back to our earlier (apparent) disagreement on the
> subject.   IANAL or nearly a good enough approximation to one to
> be competent to assess the details, but my presumption continues
> to be that the basic rules about RFCs, plus this language,
> allows the type of application you are concerned about as long
> as the version of the template in the application is an exact
> copy.  Given that language, one would certainly have to
> acknowledge where the template came from, but that would
> probably be necessary for practical reasons (independent of
> legal considerations).
>
> Given that the issue has been raised and is important, I'm
> disappointed that the Trust didn't choose to make the intent and
> limits absolutely clear whether they intended the narrow
> interpretation you infer or the broader one that I do.  In
> particular, if the intent is that someone building such an
> application be required to ask permission (which I think would
> be silly as well as damaging), it would be good for the text to
> be clear about that).
>
>   best,
>     john

"as long as the version of the template in the application is an exact copy"
is the problem.  Freedom to modify is a fundamental principle of free and open
source software.  It's OK from a FOSS perspective to say "If you change it,
you have to call it something else" to avoid confusion, but it has to be
legally modifiable.

Scott K