Re: [dnssd] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-04.txt> (Requirements for Scalable DNS-SD/mDNS Extensions) to Informational RFC

On 3 Mar, 2015, at 17:03, David Farmer <farmer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The original wording at least implied some level of interoperability, I'm not sure "leverage and build upon" does that.  It sound more like code reuse is important rather than interoperability.
>
>    REQ5:   SSD should inter-operate with current link scope
>            DNS-SD/mDNS protocols and deployments to the extent
>            practicable.
>
> I think my answer to the question is bidirectional would be the best case.  But, remember these are competing requirements to be balanced. So, in the worst case ships-in-the-night meets REQ5 and REQ6.

No, it’s more device reuse than code reuse. You shouldn’t have to buy a new printer to use it with SSD. Or new network cameras, home thermostats, etc.

No it’s not a bidirectional requirement. It’s unidirectional:

A modern client needs to be able to discover a ten-year-old printer even when it’s remote.

The ten-year-old printer doesn’t need to discover anything new.

Stuart Cheshire