Re: (short version) Re: Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard

In message <20150301202727.GD1260@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Viktor Dukhovni write
s:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 10:21:33AM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > And that is coming "_25._tlsa" and it uses DNSSEC to prevent the
> > > downgrade.
>
> Typo fix: that "_25._tlsa" is of course "_25._tcp".

Thanks

> > > Whether your MTA uses STARTTLS or not is another matter
> > > but we can prevent downgrade attacks from succeeding.
>
> If the MTA implements opportunistic DANE TLS, and usable TLSA
> records *are* published, then it MUST use STARTTLS and authenticate
> the peer via said TLSA records.
>
>     http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-14#section-2.2

I was refering to the fact that publishing records doesn't force
the client to use TLS as we have a large legacy population.  New
client will do this if they are not broken.  That said, adding explict
compliance tests to the rfc may not be a bad idea but this thread is
not the place to discuss it.  I wish EDNS had explict compliance tests
listed so we would not be in the mess we are in today.  Again this thread
is not the place to discuss this.

> > In particular make it possible to explicitly specify criteria such as 'use
> > TLS transport' or 'XYZ authentication is required'.
>
> For both MX and SRV the DANE WG has settled on publication of TLSA
> RRs to signal both "TLS is required" and "DANE authentication is
> required".

Yep

--
Mark Andrews, ISC