Re: Thinking laterally

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > What I would like to see here is a camera on every microphone, on the
    > presenter, on the chairs, and maybe one pointing back at the room, and
    > someone or something picking which camera to send to the feed at any
    > given time, plus a separate slide feed.  The feed in each meeting room

yes, this is the only part of meetecho that is missing: multiple cameras.
I suggest that while we might need the switcher (that's the technical term
for the person who picks the camera feeds...) in the short-term, I suggest
that in the long term, that we should send all feeds, and the end users
pick.   Perhaps one of our microphone/room management protocols (e.g UMPIRE),
could allow feedback from the remote people as to what the "best" feed is
at any time for the purpose of assembling a useful single-video feed.

    > This is eminently doable in principle, but I suspect not sufficiently
    > automatic at present for us to actually make it work.  I suspect the
    > meetecho people _could_ do this, but not at a cost that would make
    > sense for an IETF meeting (yet).

It would be good to know what the capital and incremental costs might be, and
if a voluntary remote participation fee could fund it.

For meetings that I can not attend due to pure funding reasons,  the
remote attendance fee might also be an issue.  For meetings that I can not
attend due to logistical reasons (lack of childcare, conflict with family
event on edge weekend, lack of visa), a voluntary remote attendance fee is
way less than the airfare...

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works