Re: (short version) Re: Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard

> On 27 Feb 2015, at 08:58, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> One then open an SMTP connection to mail.frobbit.se, and can use TLS where
>> the cert is compared to mail.frobbit.se.
>
> Except that this is not done in MTAs written by people with clue,
> and is known to be insecure ("going through the motions").
>
>> To me that is a change of a domain name given data in DNS.
>
> That's the naive model, but it is wrong.

Ok, trust me, I know how SMTP and mail works :-)

So the difference for MX is that the MX model using TLS is wrong.

Then SRV, can you explain that?

http://example.com/

Lookup of SRV for _web._tcp.example.com

Get back for example 8080 example.net

http://example.net:8080/

What I am trying to understand is the _difference_ between URI and MX/SRV which was what Sam said there was.

   Patrik