Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

> On Feb 12, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The goal is, I think, to have an I* which is make up competent people, who
> spend a reasonable amount of time, but not 100%, making the Internet a better
> place for everyone on the planet.  That means not just having a diverse group
> of people in charge, but making sure that it's clear to everyone on the
> planet that we welcome them: that we desire their participation.
>
> A major feedback from the confirming bodies into the nomcom is about
> diversity of all sorts: gender, age, culture, geography.   The ISOC board
> really cares about this (and that discussion is one reason the IAB
> announcement took longer, btw).  How can we have more diversity without
> sacrificing any of the other things that are also important: like being able
> to work well together.
>
> People have been upset during the past two nomcoms (both of which I was on),
> about the resulting diversity coming out of the selection process.  The
> reality is that the nomcom can't produce diversity; it only filter the input
> for the best people.  That means we if we want diversity, we have to feed the
> pipeline at the bottom.

I noticed this subject line has been a long running thread and I have not read it all, but I'd really like to repeat Michael's comment here: the nomcom can't produce diversity; it only filter the input for the best people.  Thus the solution of getting diversity is not at nomcom, but the overall IETF process.

Lixia (member of nomcom 2014-15)