Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

On Feb 12, 2015, at 1:57 AM, Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see the 3/5 attendance record as a means to ensure that the potential NomCom voting member is familiar with the culture of the IETF and that they are aware of the current issues that are facing the IETF, at leas in the portion of the IETF where they are active.  I see (b) as a way to determine continued participation, but it can be done in a fashion that is quite isolated.  In my view, we want to encourage participation in the IETF community.

That's why the 3/5 is how you get in, and continued participation is how you stay.   I think your point about IETF culture is right, but it's ridiculous to think that an organization that invented and that continues to invent the Internet has to have in-person carbonfests every four months in order to be effective, and I don't think it's true.   Requiring mostly in-person attendance to maintain cultural relevance is not necessary, and goes against what we have been trying to achieve.