Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

On 11/18/14, 6:54 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> So what's to stop that malicious site owner from putting up a block on
> their site unless you fill out the form that tells them the PII they
> want to know?

The research in this space is far from simple.  It is true that for very
little in return users will tend to share.[1]  And it is also well
established that users will overshare.[2]  And so what you say is likely
to be true IFF users gain something of value to them.  But this being
the case, I think what you're asking is actually not relevant in this
case.  Users have the option of setting or not setting a bit, and
content providers have the option of honoring or ignoring it.

Eliot
[1] Egelman, et. al, "Choice Architecture and Smartphone Privacy", WEIS
2012.
[2] Preibusch, et. al, "The privacy economics of voluntary
over-disclosure in Web forms", WEIS 2012.