Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

On 28/10/2014 13:49, John Levine wrote:
>> No. I mean that a badly motivated web site can pretend to offer safe material
>> using this but actually offer objectionable material (for whatever definition
>> of safe or objectionable you care to adopt). For example a site being used
>> to "groom" innocent victims could pretend that all its content was safe.
>> This would actually make the site much more dangerous than before, because
>> of the illusion of safety.
>
> How does this differ from the current situtation?  Any site can show
> logos that say "100% family friendly", and have a safe mode flag you
> can toggle in your browser.

Yes, of course, but now they could automatically persuade a
browser itself that they conform to the IETF RFC7xxx standard
for safe browsing. Maybe the browser could display a little
"figleaf" icon just like the little "padlock" icon.

I'm going to shut up now because I've made my point as clearly
as I can.

   Brian