Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-09.txt> (Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service) to Proposed Standard

> Le 2014-10-15 à 15:20, Alessandro Vesely <vesely@xxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> On Tue 14/Oct/2014 00:25:29 +0200 The IESG wrote:
>>
>> The IESG has received a request from the Web Extensible Internet
>> Registration Data Service WG (weirds) to consider the following document:
>> - 'Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service'
>>  <draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-09.txt> as Proposed Standard
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2014-10-27.
>
> A couple of notes.  In the *Introduction*:
>
>   The required new functionality in support of RDAP could be
>   accomplished by augmenting these registries to contain new fields,
>   or creating second parallel registries containing the extra fields
>   whose entries mirror the existing ones.  Either approach will
>   satisfy the needs of this document.
>
> This is a hint to IANA, which might be moved to Section 12.  It may
> sound confusing to client implementors.  If it is moved, the next
> sentence could be reworded to read, e.g.:
>
>   This document requests IANA to make an augmented version of the
>   existing registries available for the specific purpose of RDAP
>   use, herein named RDAP Bootstrap Service Registries.

done in -10.

> In Section 4, *Domain Name RDAP Bootstrap Service Registry*, the
> concept of longest match doesn't make sense.  Say url1 does "com" and
> "net" while url2 does "com" only, then one will find:
>
>   "services": [[["com", "net"], [url1]], [["com"], [url2]]]
>
> (An alternative, possibly easier for a client who needs to resolve a
> "com" domain, would be:
>
>   "services": [[["com"], [url1, url2]], [["com", "net"], [url1]]]
> )
>
> IANA delegates root entries only (not co.uk) so the /longest/ match is
> actually an /equal/ match, meaning that there might be multiple
> entries for a given name in different second-level arrays, as in the
> non-parenthesized case above.  Correct?

disagree. This has been discussed a lot during the wg work.
- we don’t want to restrict the lookup to single TLD, for technical and policy reasons.
- given large concentration of registries managed by single organisations, and the fact that just for tlds, there is a large amount of tlds coming…, there was an agreement for the structure in the draft to support multiple entries per rdap server.

so rejecting this one.

> Finally, in Section 6 *Entity*, it is not obvious what one means by
> "entity".  Perhaps is might be worth to insert a preamble, e.g.:
>
>   Entities (such as contacts, registrants, or registrars) can be
>   queried by handle as described in [I-D.ietf-weirds-rdap-query].
>   However, since there is no global namespace for entities, this
>   document does not describe how to find…

ok. thanks. done in -10.

Marc.