Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

On 25/10/2014 13:41, Randy Bush wrote:
> i tried to look at this draft but my browser would not show it to me.
>
> < decode >
>
> in a diverse and multi-cultural world, norms differ.  widely.  those of
> the sender may be quite different than those of the receiver.  this is a
> feature, not a bug.
>
> there are cultures in which pictures of unclothed children are highly
> objectionable.  there are others which have no problem with this but
> where pictures of underclothed adults are inappropriate.  some where
> imgages of gods are admired, others where they are forbidden.  and even
> some where internet-drafts which impose one culture's mores on others
> are objectionable.

Exactly. So how this well defined and interoperable single-bit
indicator is going to achieve anything that is the slightest bit useful
baffles me completely. As far as I can see, the semantic is identical
to RFC 3514.

On balance I don't think that this is harmless. Since it will create
an illusion of "safeness" with absolutely no guarantee, I think it
is highly likely to be abused by scurrilous sites purporting to
provide "safe" material.

    Brian