Re: [weirds] Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-13.txt> (HTTP usage in the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)) to Proposed Standard

On 18/10/2014 12:15 am, "Edward Lewis" <edward.lewis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Comment 1
>---------
>
>Section 1.
>
>##    The registration data expected to be presented by this service is
>##    Internet resource registration data - registration of domain names
>##    and Internet number resources.  These data is typically provided by
>
>Nit: ''These data is'':
>Perhaps - remove the ?¹The'' to start the paragraph and then ''Such data
>are''
>for the Nit. (Treat ?¹data'' consistently as singular or plural.)

Good catch.  I suspect "These data is" was meant to be "This data is",
using "data" as a collective noun.  I agree with removing 'The', but
personally prefer "This data is".

>Comment 2
>---------
>
>Section 3.
>
>Nit: ''meant to return only one path of execution'' - perhaps ''follow one
>path''?

How would s/return/require/ work for you?  The notion is that a protocol
matching this design intent would not lead to clients having branching or
tree searching operations, so for me "follow one path" describes a client
behaviour more than a protocol expectation.

>Comment 3
>---------
>

>Section 5.6.
>

>Nit: ''As the use of RDAP is for public resources'' is a judgement call.
>Suggest
>rewording as ''When RDAP is for public resources, a value of ?*¹. . .''

I agree with the premise of this nit.  The entire sentence then reads:

When RDAP is for public resources, a value of "*" is suitable for most
cases.

How about something a little less tortuous:

A value of "*" is suitable when RDAP is used for public resources.

>Comment 5
>---------
>
>Section 7.
>
>Nit: ''It does require the RDAP clients MUST support HTTPS.''
>Nit: ''This document made'' should be ''This document makes''

=> "It does require that RDAP clients MUST support HTTPS."

And agree on made => makes.

>Comment 7
>
>---------
>

>Appendix B
>
>Nit: ''this is unlikely to have any known side effects'' - suggest ''this
>will be[/ought to be] compatible with the RDAP definition.''

How about we be more assertive:

"... this is compatible with the RDAP definition."

Thanks for looking over the doc closely!

--
bje