Re: "Jabber Scribe" howto

Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/16/14 1:03 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:
>
>> Attending remotely is hard enough without having to wait for the queue
>> to drain, by which time your comment has already been made, or is no
>> longer relevant or similar...
>
> "Might already have been made" strikes me as a poor reason to jump the
> queue.

   I think Warren meant that the jabber scribe shouldn't have to wait
in line -- that a remote participant's place in line should be set
when the "MIC:" comment comes on jabber, without the jabber scribe
having to leave his/her seat.

   Jabber scribing is hard enough when you're sitting; and must suffer
while you stand in line. (Also, it's even harder to read name-tags
while standing _behind_ the person at the mike.)

   There's a balancing act here: how do we trust a jabber scribe to
estimate the correct place-in-line for the remote participant?

   IMHO, the right solution would involve making a separate mike
available to the jabber scribe, and having the meeting chair tell
the jabber scribe when to use it.

   (YMMV, I suppose...)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>