Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tram-alpn-06.txt> (Application Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN) labels for Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Usages) to Proposed Standard

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Simon Perreault <sperreault@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is your concern specific to TRAM's proposed use of ALPN, or does it apply to
> ALPN in general?

In general I think the IETF should be promoting the end-to-end
principle. My concern is specifically about TRAM implicitly endorsing
the idea that the network should be applying policy like that.

(There's also a fair amount of irony in that fact that the second
example suggests ALPN be used to get around the fact that networks
often discriminate based on TCP port numbers, and the first example is
suggesting that networks do exactly the same thing to ALPN
identifiers.)

Cheers

AGL