Re: History behind RFC numbers

On Oct 2, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 I can think of quite a few cases where RFCabcd was developed by WG X in Area Y, but RFCefgh, which is a DIRECT update of RFCabcd, was developed in WG Z in Area W.

Or developed by a person and used for a number of years before being standardized in the IETF at all, such as GRE.

I think there are two broad categories of nomenclature. One is what we use, enumerating RFCs. The ITU and IEEE do something in naming; IEEE 802.11ac, for example, is downward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n, and yes, we call them by their working group names. There are other bodies, such as the CCITT, that date their updates - X.25 in 1976, 1980, 1984, 1888, and 1992 were all "X.25-date”, and generically referred to as “X.25”.

I don’t know that any given approach is “right”. They are, each of them, “what we use”, complete with the benefits and caveats that go with them.