Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

On 10/2/14 5:34 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> A number of companies have*already* thrown in a fair amount of money
> without asking for votes.  Cisco is hosting the IETF Hawaii meeting.
> I don't recall anything saying that the company were asking for
> anything in return, although I hope it's not too much to ask that the
> IETF deliver high quality relevant technical standards, as the
> organization has done for several decades...

Probably the most valuable resource Cisco has provided is some
very capable people, but I hope that there's at least basic
agreement that we don't want to find ourselves in a situation
in which the companies with the deepest pockets have the
most influence over internet standards.  Or rather, it's
probably inevitable that they do, but on balance that's a
negative thing that we struggle against rather than a positive
thing that we seek to perpetuate.

Melinda