Re: Hawaii Block - going, going....

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > And this just scratches the surface. There's easily 6 hotels that are both
> > cheaper and have better ratings than the Hilton, and still have rooms for
> > the IETF week, within a few blocks. What's the problem?
>
> No problem at all and thanks for the information that you
> searched. However, for people who do not know the place, it can be
> difficult to find out the locations that are the closest - time-wise,
> not distance-wise - from the Hilton (Google Maps may deceive you, for
> instance if there is a big freeway to cross between your hotel and the
> Hilton).
>
> Here, the local host could help by suggesting the most convenient
> hotels.

This is true in the general case, but this location is a special case.

Waikiki is essentially a neighborhood of hotels.  More than half the
blocks in that area appeared, when I was walking around there, to be
made up entirely of hotels plus retail to support the people staying
at those hotels.  A typical Waikiki hotel is both next door to and
across the street from other hotels.  So, no freeways, no train
tracks, no other obstacles, just hotels everywhere, totally walkable.
  -- Cos