Re: The IETF should run an IMAPS server for its lists

--On Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:58 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is good working within the established specs.
>
> IMAP almost does what we need, but not quite. What we really
> need is a mechanism that makes it really easy to add an IMAP
> mailing list subscription into an email client or Webmail
> interface.

> Seems to me that if the mail messages come with a header that
> says 'available in IMAP form', then it would be really easy
> for Google to offer me the choice of a one click subscription
> to access the IMAP version.

An obvious way to do this would be to extend the "List-" header
vocabulary established in RFC 2369 (and registered in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/message-headers.xhtml#perm-headers),
presumably in conjunction with the already defined IMAP URL (see
RFCs 5092 and 5593.

Should we anticipate an I-D that lays out the details?

Of course, am MUA might want to have some mechanism (perhaps a
user profile flag) to expose those fields but that is a separate
issue and really one of convenience.

     john

p.s. RFC 2369 is in extremely wide use by multiple independent
implementations (including the IETF incarnation of MAILMAN).
Can anyone think of a reason it should not be a full Standard?
Volunteers to do the writeup and herd whatever and whomever need
herding?