DANE should be more prominent (Re: Review of: Opportunistic Security -03 preview for comment)

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 04:48:54AM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> Perhaps I should expand the example section to explain opportunistic
> DANE TLS for SMTP (even if that spec is still some weeks from LC),
> not just opportunistic TLS.  Then people might have a better
> understanding of how opportunistic authentication works with DANE,
> and should work generally.  I don't want the draft to over-emphasize
> DANE, it not just about DANE, but leaving out that example may have
> resulted in text that is a too abstract.

For me DANE is the critical piece to understanding how the OS protocol
design pattern can raise the floor without lowering the ceiling and
without encouraging a general reduction of security against active
attacks.  The key lies in DNSSEC's authenticated non-existence
functionality.

Nico