Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

Ted,

On 2014-08-13 01:15, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:24 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The reason given for not returning to Minneapolis is that only the
core participants show up, and that cuts into much-needed conference
revenue, making us less self-sufficient.

Am I reading this correctly - we sometimes go to attractive
holiday destinations to pull in people who don't participate
much, as a way of underwriting meeting costs?

Say rather less unattractive destinations.   I think we get better numbers in Dallas than Minneapolis.   I don't understand why--Minneapolis is one of my favorite IETF destinations--but that's what Ray said during the Admin plenary a couple of IETFs ago, and I see no reason to doubt him!

And it's not just meeting costs.   There are a lot of costs to running IETF.

I guess we lost most of the advantages we had going to Minneapolis by
not going there for a long time

we had the hotel "trained" and the hotel stuff knew us quite well

Now I guess that any other city can compete with Minneaplis

/Loa

--

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa@xxxxx