Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt> (Opportunistic Security: some protection most of the time) to Informational RFC

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014, Nico Williams wrote:

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:03:26PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
  - Rene Struik is concerned that opportunistic security might
    lead to a reduction in protection against active attacks,

I too had this concern.  For me the key is that looking forward to a
DANE-like world we get secure discovery of services' ability to
authenticate.  By "secure discovery" I mean: no downgrade attacks.

Rene's concern however is partly about people getting a false sense of
security and not bothering with anything else once they have
unauthenticated encryption everywhere.

That is why FreeS/WAN did not do anonymous IPsec back in 1997. Boy I
wish we had come to a different conclusions at the time. Today, it's
only become more obvious that we need to do this, and yes not bother
the user with a GUI if it is unauthenticated.

Paul