Re: Security for the IETF wireless network

Hi,

Sorry, I assumed that this was just an annoying dialog and there was a checkbox for "do it anyway".  We will have to find a way to manage the usability on Windows, whether that means "buy a cert from someone who is in Microsoft's default trust list too" or "provide instructions for Windows users" or what.

A common misunderstanding. There *is no* default trust list for IEEE 802.1X purposes. Even on Microsoft, you have to tick the checkbox on the one CA you trust for this connection. Due to that, whether you paid for a commercial CA's cert or just created a self-signed one doesn't matter; self-signed simply adds the extra step of importing the CA in the first place. Both need the user to TheRightThing(tm).

The instruction can be "use this .exe that we provide, it will push the right knobs for you." That's why I mentioned my website which gives you such installers.

Stefan