Re: WG Review: Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (dmarc)x

--On Thursday, July 17, 2014 07:39 -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/17/2014 7:30 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>     but the IETF has, at
>> least IMO, tended to avoid protocols that favor large
>> providers but hurt small ones
>
> While that certainly sounds appealing, I'm not aware of any
> IETF policy or pattern of practice in that regard.
>
> Please supply some documentation for it.

I have been asked to not go there and am complying.

>> To me, that makes decisions about damage-mitigation work for a
>> non-essential protocol complicated because one way to
>> eliminate the damage is to not support the protocol at all,
>> possibly including stripping its headers whenever they are
>> encountered.
>
> What 'headers' are you referring to?

Perhaps it would have been more precise to say "delete all
DMARC-related headers", i.e., DKIM and/or SPF ones.  While that
would be pretty drastic in some respects, whether it is
justifiable depends on perceptions of the damage that DMARC can
cause.  I think that is a topic for WG discussion.

See my response to John Levine.

    john