Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

In message <20140624220513.4F8CB1AD64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Rex writes:
> Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> >
> > While going through the Windows API calls and thinking how old fashioned
> > and lame all those 'Win32' classes look now, a sudden thought:
> >
> > Ordinary users don't understand the importance of going from IPv4 to IPv6.
> >
> > But Ordinary users do understand that 32 bits is bad and old and obsolete
> > and rubbish and 64 bits is better.
>
> Experienced users know painfully well just how smooth and painless
> 32-bit (windows) and 32-bit IPv4 is, whereas newer 64-bit (windows)
> and newer 128-bit IPv6 is just many painful problems and ZERO benefit.
>
> A lot of the equipment that me and my family is using is not IPv6 capable,
> and *ALL* Software that I've used so far (Linux, WinXP, Win7) runs
> ***MUCH*** better when configured with IPv4-only anyway, so why bother.
>
> If someone needs to be pushed, then it is *VENDORS*, not users,
> that they ship their equipment in a fashion that it will work with IPv6,
> should this ever become available.  Then maybe in 10 years from now,
> this might become interesting to end users.

Given there are ISP delivering IPv6 + DS-Lite today over fibre
because they have run out of addresses it is time that *everybody*
starts complaining to every supplier that doesn't ship equipement
/ services with IPv6 enabled by default.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx