Re: email client popularity [was Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)]

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 02:33:09PM -0700, Stephen Casner wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > I believe I am in a tiny, tiny minority by running my email
> > client in 'plain text' mode unless I receive a message that is
> > incomprehensible without setting 'original html' mode.
>
> I'm with you there.

Ditto.  But whenver these sorts of discussions come up, it's always
pointed out that engineers don't count when product managers are
making their decisions.  :-(

                        - Ted (who is using "mutt" and "offlineimap")

That behavior might be unusual but the default for Gmail is to not open embedded images unless a particular sender has been whitelisted for that.

So not at all surprising that Webmail would rank lower on that mode of measurement.